There is no general committee that awards the Liebster Blog Award. It’s just a recognition from one blogger to another for how awesome they are. Kind of like a really big Internet hug!
Allison’s Book Bag has been nominated for a Liebster Blog Award!
Whenever possible I supplement the information in my blog posts with references to related articles. In May, as part of a posting about writing guides on my current reading list, I recommended an article by John Howell about writing dialog. Not only did he like my post but he also started following my blog so that he could learn more. I don’t actually know if anyone can learn anything from me about how to write, but I’m always happy to know others enjoy and use my blog. In June, John nominated my blog for the Liebster Blog Award and laughed when I told him that he had nominated me just in time for summer vacation. After a week of being on the road and another week of settling in at my family’s home in Newfoundland, I’m finally setting aside time to post about this award.
Much apologies for my belated acceptance. Thanks, John, for the nomination!
One duty of a nominee is to answer questions posed by their nominator. Here are John’s questions and my answers:
- Do you want to be rich and famous? Why or why not? As a teenager, like many of my friends, I wanted to be famous. Unlike them, I never particularly cared about being an actress or singer but have always wished to become a novelist. As for wealth, I desired enough to buy my dad and I everything our hearts might desire.
Now…. I’d still love to become popular enough as a children’s writer to justify dedicating my life to that career. As for wealth, I still desire money so that my husband and I can pursue our dreams. That doesn’t necessarily mean I crave wealth. More income though would be nice.
- What is the most important day of the week for you? If I have to pick one day, it would be Saturday. That’s when I spent time with my family and with in-laws. It’s also when my husband and I schedule special outings.
- What is your favorite dessert? Carrot cake!
- How long did it take you to feel good about writing? As with the rich and famous question, this too has changed. As a child, I loved to write. Long before I knew about fan fiction, I indulged in it. I wrote sequels to stories on the radio or television and to fairy tales. Back then I also used to write long stories based on prompts. By the time I reached my twenties, however, I stopped liking what I wrote. And stopped believing in my abilities. My faith in myself improved when I learned once again to write for myself but also to find an audience. Yes, I realize that’s an oxymoron!
- What is your favorite time of day? Evenings! As much as I like to teach and to write, nothing compares to having my husband home. It’s also nice getting to relax, knowing that my work for the day is done.
- Who do you depend upon? My husband. Next, my dad.
- Has anyone ever let you down? Yes. I’m sensitive. It’s easy to hurt my feelings. 🙂
- Where on Earth do you think is closest to heaven? Newfoundland!
- What was the most valuable advice anyone ever gave you? Wow! How do I pinpoint just one piece of advice? One that comes to mind is my husband’s attempts to boost my self-acceptance: he keeps telling me “embrace your weirdness”.
- What is the most indulgent gift you ever received or given? My husband and I tend to give each other extravagant gifts. For example, I’m the one who introduced him to Ebert’s Overlooked Film Festival. He’s the one in turn who has taken me to author homes.
ELEVEN RANDOM FACTS ABOUT ME
Another rule of the Liebster Blog Award is to list eleven facts about oneself. So here we go!
- I don’t like condiments, dressing, or gravy.
- My favorite movie is the little known Choices of the Heart. It tells the story of a young missionary girl from the United States who was killed in 1980 together with two other missionaries while serving in El Salvador.
- My husband and I sponsor a dog named June and a cat named Tila from Hearts United for Animals, a no-kill shelter.
- I am currently writing a novel about five teenagers who are responsible for a boy drowning in a bog.
- My favorite food is fish and chips.
- My step-mom is younger than me.
- I once dyed my hair pink.
- Incidentally, my favorite singer is PINK.
- My husband is the cook in the family.
- He also cleans the house when I am pressed for time.
- I attended a women’s college in Alabama.
Naturally, recipients of the Liebster Blog Award are also asked to nominate other deserving blogs. According to Sopphey Says, this award has an interesting history. For example, through the years it’s been given to blogs with under 3,000 followers, but now it’s bestowed on those with fewer than 200. It also once requested that nominees in turn nominate five other blogs, but now that number has increased to the odd number of eleven. Some bloggers view it as a chain letter, because each nomination begats many more, ad infinitum. Even if it is, most view the award as a fun way to get to know and promote fellow bloggers.
It’s in this spirit that I’m nominating the below fellow bloggers. Some have specialized interests, including ones which aren’t my own. A few hold different beliefs, but I still enjoy some of their posts. All are blogs which I follow or at least frequently visit. I tried to select a potpourri, so that perhaps a few will also become ones you like.
QUESTIONS FOR MY NOMINEES
For the nominees, here are your questions:
- Have you ever met anyone famous?
- Where is the farthest you have traveled from your home?
- What is your greatest phobia?
- What would be your perfect day?
- What is the most unusual thing you’ve eaten?
- What is your goal in life?
- If you could be only one of the following, which would you be? Rich, famous, young, beautiful, or smart? Why?
- What are you best at?
- E-books or print books?
- What is your greatest weakness?
- Should the toilet paper hang over or under?
To recap, the rules of the award are:
- List eleven random facts about yourself
- Answer the eleven questions asked by your nominator
- Nominate eleven other bloggers for the Liebster Award
- Notify these bloggers
- Ask eleven questions that your nominees may choose to answer upon accepting the Liebster Award