Wishlist Wednesday is a book blog hop from Pen to Paper that invites ones to post about one book per week that has been on their wishlist for some time, or just added, and that you can’t wait to get off the wishlist and onto your wonderful shelves.
When I started this blog over five years ago, I made the decision to read almost exclusively books for young people. As I tried to add more variety to my blog, I sometimes focused on certain themes such as bestselling, award-winning, multicultural, or regional. For a time, while trying my hand at writing a young adult novel, I sought out books on troubled teens. Eventually, to honor my husband’s recommendations, I began to throw in the occasional adult book. It’s been quite the interesting reading journey and it’s about to change again.
Animal cozy mysteries are my newest reading quirk. This interest came about in two ways. When I started volunteering for animal welfare groups, I naturally began to read a lot about pets, and so I found myself attracted to pet books at sales. I’d heard the term “cozy mysteries” sometime back as part of hearing about possible genres that authors might attempt. After discovering pet cozies were a popular genre to show up at book sales, I decided to start collecting ones.
(If you don’t know what cozy mysteries are, Wikipedia says that they’re a subgenre of crime fiction. GoodReads elaborates by saying that, “Cozies very rarely focus on sex, profanity, or violence. The murders take place off stage, and are often relatively bloodless.” In addition, the mystery usually takes place in a small town or village.)
Here’s the list of pet cozies for which I have some titles:
- Perkins & Tate by Marian BabsonThe Cat Who…. by Lilian Jackson Braun
- Mrs. Murphy (& Sneaky Pie) by Rita Mae Brown
- Ashton Corners Book Club Mystery by Erika Chase
- Cat in the Stacks by Miranda James
- Magical Cats Mystery Sophie Kelly
- Joe Grey Cat Mystery by Shirley Rousseau Murphy
- Biscuit McGree Mystery by Fran Stewart
- Dog Lover’s Mystery by Melissa Clearly
- Corduroy Mansions Series by Alexander Smith
- Chet and Bernie Mystery by Spencer Quin
Should you wish to read about other animals, there are cozies about exotics, birds, horses, etc. It’s a booming industry!